Friday 13 March 2015

Free Pattern Friday - Herringbone Lace Turban

I'm changing my name to Chesty LaRue. I'm still fighting this chest infection with the help of yet more penicillin. I'm not knocking it. I'm not anti antibiotics, like so many people, but they have probably never really needed them to like, you know, save their actual lives. There, rant over. I have a story about how antibiotics did actually save my life once, but I'll bore you with that another time. (It does have a knitting connection - a major one).

This post is about knitting, as it should be. A knitted turban to be precise. After seeing a pattern for a vintage 1940s turban on The Vintage Pattern Files, and knitting it, I thought I would do another in a lacy stitch. As I didn't do a free pattern for February - (did I tell you I was ill?) - it is a bit overdue.

Photograph by Shanthi Sivanesan

The yarn I used is called Semilla, by BC Garn. I picked it up at Nest a while ago, for no particular project in mind, I just couldn't resist the shade. It only took two balls, as the meterage is very generous for a DK weight at 160m to 50g. I think it was under a fiver too. It is 100% organic wool, and has a good firm twist to it. Any DK weight yarn would work though. The original vintage turban pattern is done in 3 ply, but I just couldn't face all that knitting, and actually knit the vintage one in aran weight wool, which was a super quick knit. This one took a little longer, but still a lot quicker than with 3 or 4 ply.


I am very happy with it, as it goes with my 1940s dress and Copleys cable knit jumper. The pattern has a lot of stretch width-wise which is what I wanted, to cover my ears on a cold day.

Photograph by Shanthi Sivanesan

The photos were taken by my good friend, Shanthi, whom I've known since I was 18. She's always had a keen eye when it comes to taking a good pic, so I went over to her place, and we went out in the garden, It was cold sunny day, perfect weather.


She captured the colours perfectly.

Photograph by Shanthi Sivanesan

I have put the pattern on a new page, called 'Free knitting patterns'. You can find it under the banner at the top of the page, or here.

Photograph by Shanthi Sivanesan

Photograph by Shanthi Sivanesan

Photograph by Shanthi Sivanesan

We had a bit of fun with the styling.

I found my old Doc Martens recently, in the loft at my mum and dad's, so I've been living in them. I've always loved clashing colours and fabrics, so teaming my 40s dress with a faux leopard print jacket felt right. I have to admit I get slightly bored of dressing vintage head to toe, (sorry)! It's good to grunge it up a bit.

I have been listening to a lot of music from the 90s again, as my husband and I have just launched a night at our local here in Walthamstow. It's called Mixtape, and we play a mix of 80s and 90s stuff. This probably explains my fashion choices right now.


I really enjoyed rummaging in the loft for my old clothes from back then. I even found a hand knitted cardigan, in acrylic, (originally from a charity shop, in the days before I could knit).


You can just about see it here, with lace panels down the front. I'm with my good pal Nese, we grew up near each other in Norf' London. Nese is convinced she, (and I), invented the selfie, in 1992, before it even had a name. But Shanthi has confirmed that it was in fact Madonna, back in '85. And of course with that Polaroid in Desperately Seeking Susan. These are the issues that matter to us.


Can't beat a bit of red vinyl!

Theodora.

11 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fab night. Will you be playing things like elastica or sleeper or weezer? I hope you get rid of that awful chest infection soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecka, we did play Weezer, and will play Elastica. I played an all woman set, which went down well.

      Delete
  2. I've always thought turbans look great in pictures, but I have never dared to wear one myself. Too afraid of the frump-factor, or cleaning lady look. Maybe one day :D Yours is lovely, and you wear it very well!!
    Get well soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Siri, you should give it a go, you'd look glam!

      Delete
  3. That's a jolly nice turban, thank you for putting the pattern on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun night, I have my vinyl from the 90's lurking about somewhere! Thanks for sharing the pattern, I like the ear warming potential of the turban.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, 90's vinyl, I haven't got as much as I have from the 80's, but must NOT collect anymore! The turban certainly does keep the ears warm, and makes a nice change from a beret.

      Delete
  5. I am trying to find the free patton for the herringbone lace turban

    ReplyDelete
  6. me too. It'd be the perfect gift for a friend of mine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post has sparked my creativity! I love the idea of combining the delicacy of lace patterns with the natural texture of linen yarn. Time to dive into this new knitting adventure and see what beautiful creations I can craft.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...