Tuesday 3 June 2014

Current crochet projects

It's so nice to have a few projects you can dip in and out of, and I find crochet is the perfect craft for that.

At the moment I am working on a few things, the first of which I must have started almost 2 years ago, when I seriously knuckled down to crochet. Having learnt to knit first, I found it difficult to get my head around the different terminology, and just stayed clear of all the wonderful patterns out there.

It is, predictably, a granny square blanket.
I'm using acrylic yarn, something I've always avoided, having mainly knitted vintage jumpers that just aren't the same in acrylic. But when you want to use 20+ colours for a blanket that will need washing regularly, there is really no choice. And I have to say I'm a convert! Although the down side is that I end up buying too much because it is so much cheaper than wool. I bought most of the yarn for this blanket in one go, which meant walking home lugging a black bag. I was quite embarrassed, but not as much as I should have been. I still wouldn't use it for jumpers though, not even children's jumpers. I'm still a yarn snob.

I'm also just finishing a cushion cover from Kath Webber. It is featured in Mollie Makes, Issue 30.
The pattern uses Rowan's handknit cotton, and I happened to have a few odd balls, so they were put to good use. Also 2 balls of Freedom Sincere dk in a pale green and candy pink. I love how it turned out, and I was surprised at how easy the chevrons were to work. And it shows how to weave in all the ends as you go along. Great pattern.

I'm also working on some motifs from Nicki Trench's Cute & Easy Crochet with Flowers
I've seen lots of patterns from this book featured in magazines, but it's great to have them all in one book. Even though it is totally water damaged now as my daughter spilled water over it the same day I got it. Grr. I think this will be a throw or blanket, but I can see it making a great bag.

How many projects do you have on the go?

3 comments:

  1. I don't crochet. I'm trying to finish off a few knitting WIPs, though - some of them have been on the needles too long and need to be finished so I can cast on something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're more disciplined than me, I just get so bored, always itching to dive into something new. Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually 3 knitted jumpers in various stages of progress and a crochet jumper i started 5 years ago as a tester but as I did it on the cheap using acrylic yarn I never seem to.have the impetus to finish it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...