Friday 27 March 2015

Free Pattern Friday - Jumper in Thick Wool and her little friend

A free pattern for a 'Jumper in Thick Wool' from a 1936 edition of Home Notes. It uses a chunky weight yarn, which at first I thought was most unusual, until I had a flick through some other patterns from that era.

There was an explosion of knitting patterns released in the 1930s, and with it came a huge array of yarns to go with them. When one thinks about knitwear from the 1930s and 40s, it is 3 ply that springs to mind. That is not strictly the case though. I was reminded of this by a good knitting pal, Simone, who has a collection of vintage knitting patterns that I am in awe of (although, I may get a peek at them someday soon). Yarns named Kwiknit, Speedknit, and Zephyr, just in case you had any doubts as to their claims. Aran or worsted weight yarns were really quite popular, and chunky and super-chunky yarns were used predominantly for jackets to achieve that 1940's silhouette, like the Box Coat from A Stitch in Time vol 2.

This is the first time I have attempted a vintage jumper in this thickness, though. I dived in on a whim, but I am sorely lacking in chunky weight wool, being more of a 3 and 4 ply gal. I did manage to dig out four balls of - wait for it - Robin Chunky ACRYLIC. 100% acrylic. I was convinced it would turn out to be a beast of a thing, but I have to admit, it didn't behave at all badly.

(Mostly phone pics, I'm afraid.)

I went down a needle size to 7mm, to achieve the required tension, but now wish I hadn't, as it could have done with a tad more ease. It does not have the same fit as the original, but then again, I thought that looked a little too shapeless.

This pic was taken by my 5 year old son!

This was a very quick knit - it took just over a week to complete. Bear in mind that I only really knit in the evening for about an hour or two. Sewing up was a lot quicker, too. All in all, it probably took about 15 hours. And, another thing in acrylic's favour: it took just 4 balls, at 160m each, which came to a grand total of £6.40. Bought at Walthamstow market. The cheapest jumper EVER. But hopefully not in a bad way.


If you are going to attempt this, take care when knitting the sleeves. I came unstuck on the right sleeve and had to re-knit it from the beginning as I had cast on 11 sts after the turn-back cuff at the wrong side, putting the cuff at the back! The armhole depth was pleasingly deeper than I expected, too: usually it is six inches and you can't lift your arms, but this is about seven and a half. The neck is deeper, too, which means I can get it over my head without undoing the buttons.

Camera pic by hubby

If I were to knit it again, I would certainly use wool, or a wool mix. I have already swatched it in Drops Nepal (aran/worsted weight), which I used for Quick Work In Thick Wool. It will work, but only if I go up a needle size to 8mm, even 9mm, and then it will be snug, and possibly too open and airy. Hmm. But I cannot buy more wool!

.

I have plenty to be getting on with. My (or, rather) Your Victory Jumper is coming along nicely, but I musn't rest on my laurels, or I'll never finish it.

I haven't had much time this week. My little girl has been off nursery with chicken pox, poor little mite. Hence my hasty pics. She will be better for Easter, but my son might have it by then!

Here is the free pattern, along with its friend on the same page: 'Jumper with a Turreted collar'.





I hope you have fun with them.

Theodora.

19 comments:

  1. I'm always on the hunt for vintage patterns using thicker yarns. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Another one for my list! acrylic does have it's plus side.... £6.40 for an amazing jumper is fantastic! I've just started the back of my Victory jumper..... I need to have it finished for VE day so must not be tempted to start something new :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get my Victory jumper done by then too! Although i have nothing planned for VE day. Glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous jumper, I love that it is quick to knit but looks very intricate, the chunky yarn really makes the pattern stand out! What a bargain too! I shall link it up right away! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the pattern, I can't wait to try it! I love the design. The second sweater with the turreted collar is adorable too... My "to knit" list is getting far too long!

    Naomi
    teenyboppinalong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I know about 'to knit' lists. That's why it's so fun to do a quick knit. Hope you have fun, and success with it.

      Delete
  5. The jumper is gorgeous and you look very stylish as always. With the chunky yarn and the big buttons is reminds somehow of a Barbie doll sweater ;-)
    Drops Nepal is a very warm yarn,so it depends on you personal "inner thermostat" if you could wear this as a sweater - I certainly couldn't. I have a cardi from Nepal but I can take it off if I get too warm.
    The yarn is also a bit scratchy next to the skin, the alpaca fibers have little "spikes", but it gets softer when it has been washed a few times.

    Greetings from Germany
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid, I love that image. Never thought of myself as a Barbie doll, rather lacking in the chest department! Good tip about the alpaca, it is very warm. I probably won't knit it again, so many new, (old) knits to try!

      Delete
  6. So beautiful.
    You are such a great knitter.
    So glad that you are blogging about it.
    Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments Alena, have fun with the pattern.

      Delete
  7. That's a lovely jumper. You always do such a fantastic job on your projects. But you say acrylic like it's a bad thing. I knit in acrylic and there are some really luxuriously soft, draping acrylics out there. It's not all hard and scratchy :)

    ~ Bridget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget. I haven't had much experience of acrylic, as I try to replicate the jumpers as much as possible, and that means using wool. The acrylics I've used, namely the one for this jumper, has made the garment a little 'stiff', a bit 'cardboardy'. Washing may soften it, but once the ribbing has stretched, it won't spring back like wool. I'm up for using wool acrylic mixes though.

      Delete
  8. Oh this pattern is gorgeous! I've just bought some wool to start but I have a question about the gauge. I can't read it, is it 3 sts to 1 in. for the first jumper? Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, it is 3 sts to the inch for 34 bust size. Hope it goes well. What yarn are you using?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would love to have this pattern, how do i go about this please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm relatively new to knitting, and understanding yarn types can be overwhelming. Your post's focus on Aran yarn as a delightful option for creating beautiful pieces is just the guidance I needed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...