Friday 8 January 2016

New Year - New Knit

A new vintage knit, from the May 1935 edition of Stitchcraft. 

Called Square Yoke, Flared Sleeves.


I was so eager to photograph it I took a pic before sewing on the buttons.


I went for simple mother of pearl ones.


The wool used for the original was Paton's Super Brindle, which I had never heard of before. It was a little tricky to work out how to substitute. The needles used were 3mm, 3.25mm, 3.75mm and 4 mm. Tension required was one pattern repeat (9 sts), to 1.5 inches. It didn't look like a dk wool in the photograph, but more like a 4 ply. I did my tension swatch with Jamieson & Smith's 2 ply jumper wool, which I find knits to a true vintage 4 ply. It worked well, so I cast on and got going.


It knit up pretty quickly, and was a simple, but still interesting enough pattern to keep me from getting bored. It was knitted straight without any armhole shaping, the yoke left on a holder and worked after shoulders were joined. The sleeves are sewn on flat before any other sewing up is done. Lots of steam and pressing, especially the lace part of the sleeves, to get that flare. The only really annoying part was the decreasing on the yoke, which is not symmetrical. (The reason the buttons were added?)


As you may have noticed, I took these photos myself, in the mirror, so they leave a lot to be desired.


I have realised another reason I love to knit these vintage jumpers is the detective work that goes into it. Trying to find the perfect yarn, the perfect tension, the perfect length. Mine has turned out shorter than the original, but it sits on my natural waist, so it is fine. I think it is actually a teensy bit snug, and that is because I didn't go up to the 4mm needles, but stuck with the 3.75mm ones, as these are what gave me the correct tension. That would explain why I only needed 6 ounces! Still, better than horribly baggy.

Theodora.

6 comments:

  1. Phew, I was suffering from vintage knits withdrawal symptoms, so very glad you have blogged about such a sweet knit. You have done a lovely job. I love the colour and lace pattern. Very nice indeed. Rx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very pretty. I'd have been tempted to make the yoke symmetrical, though I'd never have guessed it wasn't if you hadn't mentioned it, I'm just a faffy knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't finished a knit I started in January last year, so I'm always in awe of how fast other people knit! This is a lovely top, and those buttons really add that perfect vintage detailing. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I'm swooning at the loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very beautiful. Really, really gorgeous. I hope you are proud of it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...